Skip to main content

THREE VERY IMPORTANT THINGS WE OVERLOOK




In our quest to achieve better outcomes in our schools, the focus is usually on teaching methods, text books, teaching aids and qualified teachers. However  there are other factors that are very important but usually overlooked, especially here in Ghana. In this post I will talk about three of them.

FOOD

We all love to eat good food especially when it's our favorite. Food is eaten to satisfy hunger and our personal cravings. Am not sure many people will take in specific foods for academic reasons. Am not a medical doctor or dietician but my little research on the internet has shown that the food we eat can actually affect our cognitive abilities and hence academic work. Nutritional psychiatrist, Drew Ramsey suggests there are foods that can actually improve the functioning of the human brain. This is no rocket science because every organ in the human body requires some essential nutrients to function well. Certainly the brain also require certain  nutrients to function well. It's quite clear that we all need to speak to an expert to educate us on the kind of food our kids need to booste their brain performance. This will go a long way to improve their academic work. 

HEALTH

The World Health Organization describe health as the state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. 

A physically sick student will obviously find it difficult to learn so am not going to talk about the effects of diseases here. The point of  interest to me is the mental and social well-being aspect of the definition as stated by the World Health Organization. For students to learn well, they should be doing well mentally and socially. Students can be mentally affected by family issues, issues with peers and natural factors. For instance, a little girl who is always active in my class was very quiet on a particular day. I tried to find out what was the problem but she said, "sir am ok". She obviously didn't look ok. I later find out it was her time of the month. She might have been experiencing some cramps down there. I don't think this girl Will ever enjoy any lesson during that time of the month. To solve that problem I decided to give her one on one tutoring at a later date anytime she is dormant in class.

On another occasion I noticed a girl in my class was reluctant in answering questions I posed. When the lesson ended I called her to the office and asked to know why she was hesitant in answering my questions. She held back initially but eventually told me her grandmother insulted her and her deceased parents because of a trivial issue. I Immediately felt her pain because at age 19 I became an orphan. I just could not imagine how I would react if I hear any body insult any of my dead parents whom I loved so much.

These two examples clearly shows how learning can be difficult if we are not emotionally and mentally sound. Teachers who are even matured can easily succum to depression and stress at any point in time. Isn't it time stakeholders of education make concious effort to manage the mental and social well-being of students and teachers? Your guess is as good as mine.

COMMUNICATION

Communication is another important aspect of the teaching and learning process often overlooked. How a teacher communicates with learners in the classroom is very vital for students to learn better. I wasn't too good in mathematics growing up and all along I thought I was a bad math student until I got to the university. At the university, I met a math teacher who made math very simple and easy to solve by how he communicated mathematics to students. It was there that I realised my basic school teachers lacked the communication skills needed to effectively transmit the knowledge they have to students. A lot of students are innocently paying the prize of teachers' inability to communicate well. Sometimes, I ask myself, how many students have failed and are failing examinations because their teachers could not communicate a particular subject to them well? I was very fortunate to have met a good math teacher along the line who reversed my problems with math due to poor communication but how many students will be fortunate as I was.

I personally think teachers should not be rushed into the classrooms if they have problems with communication. Such teachers should be given some kind of training in communication skills.


By: Edinam Ahiably-kumordjie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOUR WAYS TO HELP KEEP STUDENTS IN THE CLASSROOM

In most remote farming communities in Ghana students will most often substitute the classroom for farming which indeed provides their household with the most basic necessity of life, food. It remains a challenge for teachers in farming communities in Ghana to fight this phenomenon. This article presents four ways that could help keep students in the classrooms. 1.       Education Parents who are the ones responsible for the welfare of their wards should be educated extensively on the effects of their wards deserting the classroom for the farms. I believe if possible parents should be educated on what goes into planning a lesson. In planning a lesson sometimes teachers have to go places to borrow TLMs (Teaching and Learning Materials) which is not readily available or rather expensive to procure just to deliver a good lesson. If students are not present on a day a lesson is presented it becomes very difficult for teachers to help students make up for the lost period. I think edu

FOUR WAYS TO MAKE PROFRESSIONAL LEARNING COMMUNITIES (PLCs) EFFECTIVE

Professional learning communities refers to a group of teachers who meet periodically to share ideas to enable them improve their skills in teaching and also improve learner outcomes. Professional learning communities have two main goals: improve the teaching skills of educators and assist students to achieve better outcomes. Today, professional learning communities have become the new normal in Ghanaian schools since its introduction in September 2019. As this (PLC) is new in most schools in Ghana, the big question remains, how do we make our professional learning communities more effective and sustainable?   UNCOVER PLC Uncovering professional learning community is my own description of extensive literature review on professional learning community. While professional learning communities may be new to some teachers, others may have their own understanding about what professional learning communities really is. I think teachers who are really interested in enhancing their kno

Will the change from diploma to degree solve the problem?

  Teacher education in Ghana has seen a lot of changes in recent times. One major change has been the change of diploma awarding colleges of education to degree awarding colleges. This means all teachers coming out of the colleges of education will have a degree as the minimum qualification. This was great news to all teacher trainees in the various colleges as this will mean a marginal increase in their salaries when they are deployed to teach. Many have louded this move by government but my question is, will the degrees automatically result in better outcomes? I am yet see any difference in the skills set of a diploma holder and a degree holder as far as teaching is concerned in this country. A lot of teachers have acquired degrees on the job but pupils in government schools are still struggling to read and write, our children are not doing well in basic arithmetic and they can't think critically. I have enquired from few teachers on why they acquired university degr