Skip to main content

LAND OF DOCTORS, ENGINEERS, LAWYERS, PILOTS...

 In my first professional job as a teacher, I decided to ask my pupils in basic 5 the kind of profession they would like to pursue. The responses I got wasn't different from the responses I got from other kids I've asked the same question. Most of the pupils wanted to become medical doctors, engineers, lawyers and pilots

I have wondered for years why most Ghanaian kids would  always want to become one of the above-mentioned professionals.

I remember telling my mum I wanted to become an agriculturist as a young boy but she wouldn't agree. I then decided to become a businessman. This was because my mum had asked me to study business at senior high school instead of the science I preferred.

Never did it occurred to me that I could and would become a teacher.

After high school, I decided to pursue a career in soccer because I was very good at it but my main attraction was the money soccer players earn, the cars, huge apartments and what not.

I somehow ended up at the Kumasi Technical University where I reluctantly studied marketing. After my three year study I couldn't even sell a cup of water to a thirsty man on a desert.

The next thing was national service and still no clear career to persue. I arrived at my station-Asesewa Government Hospital. What can a 'professional marketer' like me do in a hospital?

Just beside where I rented a room was a public basic school. One day after work I met a group of pupils studying in the school and they ask if I can assist them in mathematics. Why not? I said. 

I remember teaching them addition of fractions and they clearly understood what I taught. I was very happy to be able to help the kids and for the first time I felt some joy within me that I have never felt.

It still never crossed my mind that I could ever become a teacher. I made it a point to assist the kids everyday after work. The joy in me kept growing until I decided to go back to school to be trained as a professional teacher.

Fast forward to 2020 and I am the mathematics and science teacher at Asuboni No 3 Presby Basic School.

My journey to becoming a teacher displays the inability of our education system to provide a comprehensive career guidance plan in our schools. Am not aware of  any concious effort being made to put our young and innocent kids on the right career path.

A lot of pupils are making the same mistakes I made years back. Students choose careers with prestige and relatively high income hence the preference of becoming a doctor, engineer, lawyer, pilot etc.

Parents on the other hand also put pressure on their wards to choose a certain career path they think is more glorifying and respectable.

The fact of the matter is that all of us can't be doctors or engineers. I personally think that am better off being a teacher than an agriculturist, businessman or a soccer player.

We all have unique capabilities that teachers and parents must collaborate to assist kids to  discover. It is really fun doing something that makes you happy all the time and earning some cash. Can you imagine earning money for doing what makes you happy?

I can't compare my salary to that of a medical doctor but I can certainly say am more happier than a doctor who was forced to become one.

There are too many 'doctors', 'engineers' and 'pilots' in our classrooms. I do hope that going forward we would have some sort of diversity in terms of career choices in our classrooms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOUR WAYS TO HELP KEEP STUDENTS IN THE CLASSROOM

In most remote farming communities in Ghana students will most often substitute the classroom for farming which indeed provides their household with the most basic necessity of life, food. It remains a challenge for teachers in farming communities in Ghana to fight this phenomenon. This article presents four ways that could help keep students in the classrooms. 1.       Education Parents who are the ones responsible for the welfare of their wards should be educated extensively on the effects of their wards deserting the classroom for the farms. I believe if possible parents should be educated on what goes into planning a lesson. In planning a lesson sometimes teachers have to go places to borrow TLMs (Teaching and Learning Materials) which is not readily available or rather expensive to procure just to deliver a good lesson. If students are not present on a day a lesson is presented it becomes very difficult for teachers to help students make up for the lost period. I think edu

FOUR WAYS TO MAKE PROFRESSIONAL LEARNING COMMUNITIES (PLCs) EFFECTIVE

Professional learning communities refers to a group of teachers who meet periodically to share ideas to enable them improve their skills in teaching and also improve learner outcomes. Professional learning communities have two main goals: improve the teaching skills of educators and assist students to achieve better outcomes. Today, professional learning communities have become the new normal in Ghanaian schools since its introduction in September 2019. As this (PLC) is new in most schools in Ghana, the big question remains, how do we make our professional learning communities more effective and sustainable?   UNCOVER PLC Uncovering professional learning community is my own description of extensive literature review on professional learning community. While professional learning communities may be new to some teachers, others may have their own understanding about what professional learning communities really is. I think teachers who are really interested in enhancing their kno

Will the change from diploma to degree solve the problem?

  Teacher education in Ghana has seen a lot of changes in recent times. One major change has been the change of diploma awarding colleges of education to degree awarding colleges. This means all teachers coming out of the colleges of education will have a degree as the minimum qualification. This was great news to all teacher trainees in the various colleges as this will mean a marginal increase in their salaries when they are deployed to teach. Many have louded this move by government but my question is, will the degrees automatically result in better outcomes? I am yet see any difference in the skills set of a diploma holder and a degree holder as far as teaching is concerned in this country. A lot of teachers have acquired degrees on the job but pupils in government schools are still struggling to read and write, our children are not doing well in basic arithmetic and they can't think critically. I have enquired from few teachers on why they acquired university degr